Gibbons' Stankavage headed to the SEC
Posted February 5, 2014
Cardinal Gibbons High School quarterback Shawn Stankavage is headed to the Southeastern Conference. Our lens on Shawn Stankavage
Stankavage signed with Vanderbilt on Wednesday, shortly after rescinding an earlier commitment to East Carolina.
At 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds, Stankavage passed for 3,564 yards and 34 touchdowns last season with a 61 percent completion rate. He also rushed for 1,058 yards and 13 touchdowns. His performance earned him all-conference honors.
As a two-year starter at quarterback for the Crusaders, Stankavage posted a 20-4 record.
According to Rivals.com, Stankavage is a two-star quarterback. Aside from Vanderbilt, Stankavage reported offers from East Carolina and Wyoming.
Cardinal Gibbons finished the 2013 season with a 9-4 overall record and a 5-2 mark in the Big Eight 3-A Conference. The Crusaders lost to eventual state champion Southern Durham in the second round of the 3-AA state playoffs.
The complete list of Cardinal Gibbons High Schools students recognized on Feb. 5th includes:
- Rachel Bartolomeo (NC State, Women’s Cross Country/Track & Field)
- Lukas Bowler (St. Francis Xavier University, Football)
- Daniel Davis (Davidson, Men’s Soccer)
- Robert Kelly (UNC-Chapel Hill, Men’s Tennis)
- Lauren Magdefrau (Christian Brothers-Tennessee, Women’s Soccer)
- Morgan Reid (Duke, Women’s Soccer)
- Chase Rhode (Wake Forest, Men’s Soccer)
- Shawn Stankavage (Vanderbilt, Football)
- Faith Wilson (Wingate, Women’s Soccer)