Girls Soccer

Franklin Academy overcomes 3-goal deficit, wins in PKs

Posted May 27
Updated May 28

— Franklin Academy found itself down 3-0 in the second half, but a fierce comeback in the second half forced overtime and the Patriots took a 4-3 win in penalty kicks to claim the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A state championship.

Franklin Academy dominated possession to start the first half and missed on several good opportunities to score.

In the 12th minute, Niamh Stephan sent a shot just wide left for Franklin Academy. Then in the 24th minute, another shot by Stephan was saved by Tori Hancock, keeping the game scoreless.

Community School of Davidson struck first later in the half.

Franklin Academy goal keeper Marlayna Frutiger found herself caught behind her own players after making a save, and a hand ball called against a Patriots' defender gave Community School of Davidson a penalty kick.

Lissi Gordon scored on the penalty kick on a low shot to the left side of the goal, giving the Spartans a 1-0 lead in the 30th minute.

The penalty kick was deflating for Franklin Academy. Two minutes later, the Spartans found the net again. Gordon recorded the assist on a free kick that was knocked in by Kaitlyn Russell, pushing the Spartan lead to 2-0.

And Community School of Davidson wasn't done yet. A long shot by Gordon went in the net in the 36th minute, giving the Spartans a 3-0 lead going to halftime.

Franklin Academy got on the board in the second half. In the 59th minute, a corner kick from Kate Sollom turned into a goal by Kennedy Capps to cut the Spartans' lead to 3-1.

And the Patriots made a game of it in the final minutes. Anna Krussow scored from distance in the 62nd minute, which made it a one-goal game at 3-2 with 18 minutes left.

It looked as if time may run out on Franklin Academy, but a yellow card with 39 seconds left gave the Patriots a free kick. Hancock made a save on the free kick, but the rebound was fired back into the goal by Chloe Armitage to tie the game, forcing overtime.

Neither team had much happen in the first overtime period, but things warmed up in the second. Kiera Stephan nearly found Kennedy Capps on a cross in the 92nd minute, but the ball was just a few inches too far ahead of Capps. Then less than a minute later, Gordon nearly scored for the Spartans, but her shot went just wide to the right.

With no score in either of the overtime periods, the championship game moved to golden goal overtime. Two minutes into the first golden goal period, Gordon nearly scored but a diving save by Frutiger kept Franklin Academy alive.

Gordon had a second opportunity in the final seconds of the period, but the shot was a bit too high and went over the net, sending the game to a second golden goal period.

No goals were scored in the second golden goal period either though, and that meant penalty kicks would decide the game.

Franklin Academy's Kiera Stephan, Sollom, Krussow and Capps all scored on penalty kicks to give Franklin Academy the 4-3 win in penalty kicks.


Please with your account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all