Peak Performers for Week 1 of gridiron action
Posted August 25, 2011
Each and every Saturday morning of the football season, I comb through the stats from area high school football games and find the guys that got the job done.
We recognize these players on High School OT Wrap-Up on 620 the Buzz from 9-10 am each Saturday.
Coaches and AD's, help us out in recognizing the best of the best each week by sending in your stats each Friday night to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here's the list for week 1 . . .
- Fuquay Varina – RB – Ricky Ferguson – 13 carries for 147 yards and 2 TD’s including a 92 yard scamper – Fuquay over West Johnston 42-19.
- Green Hope – QB – Will Nassif – Big night for him, leads team to first victory in 39 games ending the state’s longest losing streak. Nassif goes 13-15 for 182 yards and 2 scores. Rushed for 96 yards on 12 carries, 1TD. The Falcons end the 38 game losing streak ironically enough with a point for every game lost during the streak, they win it 38-0 over Smithfield Selma.
- Athens Drive – QB – Jason West – 14-28 for 227 yards and 3 TD’s, 10 Carries 52 yards and 2 TD’s, the Jags take care of Sanderson 40-20.
- Ravenscroft – RB - Quentin Taylor – 15 Carries, 110 yards and 2 TD – Ravens beat Northern Vance 43-28
- New Bern – RB Jaquin Watkins – 17 Carries, 149 yards and 3 TDs – New Bern knocked off Hillside 27-19
- Hillside – RB – Khris Francis 28 carries for 168 yards with 2 TDs, including a 69 TD dash, losing effort though as the Hornets fall to New Bern 27-19
- East Duplin – Whole Offensive Line - Piled up 318 yards rushing, and no single back had a 100 yard night against Northwood in a 56-6 win.
- Southern Durham – RB – Akeem Judd – 15 carries for 161 yards – 3 TDs as the Spartans held off Greensboro Dudley 35-28.
- Leesville Road – ATH – Braxton Berrios – 6 carries for 157 yards and 2 TDs
- Leesville Road – RB – DJ Hunt – 16 carries for 128 yards and 2 TD’s as the Pride hammered Panther Creek 49-0
- Middle Creek – RB – Naylon Lopez – 14 carries for 143 yards, 1 catch for 23 yards and a TD in the air. Middle Creek shut out Northern Durham 32-0
We also recognize the top performer each week of the season, selecting our Player of the Week award. Each week HanDee Hugo's will award a $50 gift card to HanDee Hugo's for the athletic department of the player of the week's school.
This week, after much deliberation, the award goes to Southeast Raleigh's senior signal-caller David Washington who had a monster night against the Millbrook Wildcats
Washington went 15-22 for 239 yards, 2 TDs and 16 carries for 96 yards and a score as the Bulldogs pounded the Wildcats 36-6
Congratulations to David Washington and each of our Peak Performers for Week 1.
Send in your stats each Friday night to email@example.com so we can consider your school's athletes in future weeks and be sure to tune in to High School OT Wrap-Up each Saturday morning from 9-10 a.m. to be the first to find out who made the list!