UNC football investigation won't impact Fuquay-Varina's Underwood
Posted September 19, 2010
Fuquay-Varina's Shawn Underwood said Sunday that the investigation into the North Carolina football program will not impact his decision to attend the school.
The 6-foot-2, 315-pound defensive tackle verbally committed to the Heels in July, but defensive line coach John Blake, who played a large part in Underwood's recruitment to Chapel Hill, recently resigned. Blake's connections with agents are being investigated as the NCAA looks into the school's football program.
Underwood, a member of the Class of 2011, said Blake's resignation likely won't impact his decision.
"At first it did (have an impact), but I realized he wasn't the reason I'm going there," Underwood said. "I'm going there because it's a great school and I want a good education."
Underwood is a three-star prospect according to Rivals.com. He chose UNC over Duke, East Carolina, N.C. State, New Mexico, Penn State, South Carolina and Wake Forest.
At Fuquay-Varina last season, Underwood recorded 81 tackles, 16 tackles for loss, and three sacks.
The Bengals are 4-1 so far this season.